History of the Village of Frazeysburg
Some information contained is taken from the book "Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Muskingum County, Ohio" by Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1892, Columbus, Ohio. Some errors and contradictions have been found but that is to be expected especially since the author seemed to have gotten much of his information from the residents of the county as well as documented records. Other sources are historical websites, newspaper articles, records, and recollections of residents and descendants of residents. Documented sources are referenced at the bottom.
Frazeysburg is a village in Jackson Township, Muskingum County, Ohio that was named after Samuel Benton Frazey, the proprietor of the village who lived from 1779 to 1840, and is buried in the Frazeysburg Cemetery.
? 1815 - Frazeysburg Methodist Episcopal Church was organized at the house of Zachariah Bonham. Meetings were held at Mr Bonham's, at R.C. Mendenhall's, at John Wimmer's and at other houses, and later at a schoolhouse near the north side of Frazeysburg.
? 1817 - The first tavern at Frazeysburg was the “Pioneer Tavern” was opened and was kept by a carpenter named Samuel Mills on the site of the Hamilton store. This old hostelry was later torn down.
? 1820 – (or shortly before) a small cabin was erected for church purposes, north of the site of the school- house number three. David Evans donated the land upon which it stood, in consequence of which it was known as Evans' Church.
? 1822 - James Morgan taught a subscription school in a log house a half a mile north of Frazeysburg which is thought to be the first regular school.
? 1827 - Frazeysburg was platted June 6, 1827 by Clark Hollenback and it was named Knoxville. As has been stated, the actual survey was made by John Roberts. Numerous additions have been made.
? 1828 - Mr. Hollenback sold the original town to Samuel Frezey, who changed the name to Frazeysburg. Later that year Henry Shephard opened the first blacksmith shop in a log building. A store called Whitney's. Col. Blizzard opened this year as well.
? 1829 - The post office was established in the winter with Samuel Frazey as the first postmaster. Richard Griffee is credited with having opened the first grocery store in the township. Samuel Frazey had a store near the southeast corner of the present (present as of 1892) canal bridge in 1829, the largest opened in the township at that time.
? 1831 (possibly 1832) – The Ohio Erie Canal is finished. The "Reindeer," a small pleasure boat, made the trip from Newark to Coshoction. The "Union" of Dover was the first regular freight boat to pass through. Samuel McGinnis was a school teacher in about 1831.
? 1832 - Mount Zion Christian Church was organized with eight members. The first meetings were held at the house of George McDonald. In 1845 the society built its present frame, which cost about $500, about two miles north of Frazeysburg.
Some of the first justices of the peace were Robert Selder, Clark Hollenback, and Richard Griffee.
Frazeysburg is not only one of the leading and most prosperous villages of the county but is situated in the midst of a rich agricultural wool-gathering and stock-producing section. In close proximity is found excellent stone quarries, while the soil supplies the best quality of potter's clay, molding sand, white and gray clay for the manufacture of tile and pottery, and brick. The village is on the line of the Pan Handle railway and the Ohio canal.
There are many handsome private residences and businesses, which would do credit to larger towns and cities. Its citizens, as a class, are intelligent, enterprising and progressive, as will clearly appear in a notice of its public institutions.
There were three churches, viz: Disciples' Elder J.S. Bonham, pastor, with seating of three hundred. Presbyterian Church, with Rev C.C. Downs, pastor, seating capacity of about four hundred. M.E. church, Rev R.H. Griffith, with seating of four hundred.
The district has a fine two story brick public school building, with four rooms. The enrollment is 201, with an average attendance of 189.
? 1840 – Samuel Frazey, the town’s proprietor dies. A church building was erected at a cost of $1,000 which was later succeeded by the present (present as of 1892) edifice, a frame building that cost $1,800.
? 1843 - The Disciple Church was organized. The first pastor was Rev Lewis Corner. A church was built soon after 1880 at Frazeysburg.
? 1855 - The Pan Handle railroad was completed through this village and township alike. The first agent at Frazeysburg was E.L. Lembert.
? 1861 – Thursday, February 14, 1861, President-Elect Abraham Lincoln stops in Frazeysburg , giving a speech from a rail car to his supporters and finding his voice on his way to taking the oath of office on March 4. According to Elizabeth Muse, commentary writer for the Dresden Post-Transcript says that Glen Longaberger’s Dad witnessed this speech which was given from the back of the train. Lincoln’s next stop was Dresden, Ohio Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Lincolns-Whistle-Stop-Trip-to-Washington.html#ixzz1fvCBeESi
? 1868 - The village was incorporated and L.W. Doene was the first mayor. Dr. J.S. Trembley and his son, T.G. Trembley had an active medical and surgical office that was opened this year, and remained in business for 36 years.
? 1874 - Jasper Corn, M.D., physician, surgeon, druggist, and pharmacist started his drug store.
? 1875 - The first journalistic venture in Frazeysburg was The Federalist, published by C.E.F. Miller. The editorial work was done in Frazeysburg, where the paper was really issued, but the mechanical work was done in Dresden.
? 1876 - The Frazeysburg Presbyterian Church was organized with 34 members. Its brick church, which cost $2,370, was dedicated September 8, 1877 by J.W. Tenney, and the first pastor, Rev S.D. Smith.
? 1884 - The Frazeysburg Tile and Brick works were erected with the best machinery and appliances for the rapid and efficient manufacture of the best building and paving brick and the most substantial drain tile from three inches to twelve inches in dimensions.
? 1885 - The Frazeysburg Mill company was organized and is controlled by some of the loading citizens. The building, exclusive of office and engine room, is three stories in height plus a basement. The mill is equipped with new and improved appliances for the rapid and efficient manufacture of the highest standard grades of bakers' and family flower. The mill is a complete roller mill, with the best purifiers and is propelled by a 30-horse power engine and a boiler, and has a capacity of fifty barrels of flour per day. The staple brand for which this mill has secured more than local celebrity, is known as "Pure Gold" which bears the highest standard of excellence in all markets into which it has been introduced, and enjoys a high degree of popularity both with the trade and consumers. The individual members of this company are John A Evans, Jus Stitt and J.W. Frazier, gentlemen whose enterprise and business ability give vitality to this section of the county, and who are recognized as prominent in public affairs. They do merchant grinding and exchange, and deal in grain, flour, meal and mill feed. They are also engaged in the manufacture of brick and tile, noticed everywhere.
? 1888 - J.D. Fleming, M.D., resident physician and surgeon located in this place March 8.
? 1889 - Thomas Brother and Co's Frazeysburg Planing Mills and Lumber Yard was established and is one of the most important industrial enterprises associated with this section of the county. The post office was moved to Mr. T.G. Trembley’s store on April 27. On August 29, The Midland - a vigorous spicy and reliable family and local newspaper had a five-column, eight-page paper devoted to literature, news and local matter, with Rev. C. B. Downs as managing editor, and A.B. Clark, of Newark, associate editor; general business manager, D.H. Lewis.
? 1890 - The Frazeysburg Library association was organized April 15 with the library at the store of C.M. Bell. The town officers were Geo C Adams, Mayor; John Debolt, Marshal; A Mendenhall, M O'NEILL, Joshua Bennett, Chas W Fleming, Henry Host, H Night, councilmen; M.D. Packard, Town Clerk; Jasper Corn, Town Treasurer; A Mendenhall, Street Commissioner; V.Z. Norris, Dr J Corn, H.L. Stamets, T.C. Pierson, Wm Hamilton, School Board. Frazeysburg has a good two story town hall, a good band and a well conducted weekly paper.
Anonymous. (1892). Biographical and historical memoirs of Muskingum County, Ohio. Columbus, OH: Goodspeed Publishing Co.
Muse, E. (2011). Post-transcript. (46 ed., Vol. 53, p. 2). Dresden, OH:
|< Prev||Next >|